The mission of the Private & Parochial School Nurses Special Interest Group (SIG) of the National Association of School Nurses (NASN) and the Virginia Association of School Nurses (VASN) is to advance the practice of school nursing, and provide leadership in the delivery of quality school health programs in nonpublic school settings which include private, parochial, charter and tribal school communities. This SIG represents PPSNs throughout Virginia, and supports VASN programs and events.
In alignment with the national PPSN SIG, the following goals are advanced:
- To serve nonpublic school communities by promoting national school health standards to school administrators, faculty, and parents.
- To serve nonpublic school health nurses by promoting professional development and by mentoring new school nurses.
- To support nonpublic school health nurses by developing local, regional, and national networks that advance professional practice.
- To recognize PPSN leaders who have made far reaching contributions to the specialized practice of school nursing.
- To serve VASN by contributing to statewide membership growth, attending annual conferences, and participating actively in VASN’s programs.
Membership in PPSN is automatic by indicating on the NASN and VASN membership application that the nurse is employed or affiliated with a nonpublic private, parochial, charter, or tribal school. (No additional dues are assessed for PPSN membership.) In addition, PPSNs may opt to join the PPSN discussion list.
Virginia PPSNs attend their regional educational activities and events with their public school colleagues. In addition, PPSN specific meetings, programs, and networking opportunities are offered at the state and national conferences.
To contact your VASN PPSN Chairperson, send an email to Heather Felty at email@example.com